The Creator Expert Modular Buildings have been going from strength to strength over the last few years, since the controversial decision to move from the ‘Classic Smiley’ face to a style consistent with the contemporary LEGO Graphic design language. Last year we saw the corner garage, and today we see the announcement of the latest in this series: the 10270 Bookshop. Due for release on the 1st January, 2020; this set has 2504 pieces, is recommended for builders over 16 years of age, and will cost US $179.99–CA $199.99 –DE €159.99 –UK £149.99 – FR €159.99 – DK 1299DKK. This is $USD10 more than the Downtown diner, and as such is probably reasonable to assume that it will be similar to that set’s $AUD250 price tag. Give or Take.
But what does this set have to offer? Unlike the previous two buildings that draw heavily on the 1950’s for inspiration, we return to a more classic style of building. Infact, we have two buildings side by side: a book shop, as well as a town house. These buildings draw on the traditions of European cities, the painted ladies of San Francisco, and the New York Streetscape.
Birch books is highlighted by a silver birch tree on the footpath, and features the (relatively) new ivy leaves in yellow and orange, as well as some traditional foliage elements in autumnal colours, as seen in this year’s Ideas Tree House. The tree also contains a bird (now in blue) with a nest, which is either an example of fantastic parts usage, or a brand new element. The bookshop, primarily made in dark orange, has a general simplicity about it, compared to other modular buildings over the years. Medium stone grey elements are used to highlight various aspects of masonry around the building, including the arch over the door.
There is a stairway leading up to a third floor apartment for the book shop family to live when they are not..selling books.
Next door to Birch’s Books is number 107. Could this be significant? check out the official LEGO Colour with that number, and you will understand just why this building is predominantly teal in colour. Designer of the set, Wes Talbott, was involved in reintroducing this colour several years back, while working as a concept artist for the LEGO Group.
This house has a second level, and the back of the roof is easily detached to allow access to the interior.
We have two couples living in the buildings, as well as a child, whose toy airplane seems to have a propensity for getting stuck in trees. That’s 5 mini figures, 3 with alternate faces.
Check out the Official Press release:
Bring a novel new building to your LEGO brick town with the LEGO Creator Expert Bookshop. The latest addition to the Modular Buildings series, this three-storey bookshop and adjoining townhouse is crammed full of fun features and has all the character of a quaint European town.
The 2,504-piece build features a three-storey bookshop and adjoining modular town house building, which are full of surprising details including a reading nook – where any one of the five LEGO minifigures included in the set can settle down to read ‘Moby Brick’ (or any other book) in the peace and quiet of the detailed bookshop.
This set is packed full of unexpected features such as the toy plane stuck in the branches of the autumnal birch tree outside the house and a pet chameleon hiding in the bedroom of the house – all of which are sure to delight budding builders as they create their own bookshop.
The modular design allows the two buildings to be configured in a number of ways, giving LEGO brick fans flexibility when they display the model or integrate it into their own town of other LEGO Creator Expert Modular Buildings.
The set is inspired by the houses of Amsterdam and the dollhouses that were built by the Mother of the set’s designer, Wes Talbott when he was growing up. The set features an adjoining townhouse with individual rooms for each of the five LEGO minifigures to relax in, when they’re not exploring the bookstore itself.
Measuring over 11” (29cm) high, 9” (25cm) wide and 9” (25cm) deep, this buildable model makes for an impressive display piece on its own or as part of a larger Modular Buildings series street scene. This advanced set offers a challenging and rewarding build experience whether building alone or sharing the experience with a friend.
The LEGO Creator Expert Modular Buildings series is a premium collection of advanced, interconnecting buildings featuring authentic designs from around the world.
Build and display a quaint bookshop and modular town house
Recreate the charm of a backstreet bookshop that you might discover in any European village or town with this LEGO® Creator Expert collectors’ toy. The 3-story bookshop and adjoining modular town house building is filled with fun building techniques and surprising details, including a display window, reading nook and an open-out design. Collectors will love to display this big 2,504-piece LEGO set proudly alongside their other modular buildings.
LEGO Creator Expert building sets are for adults and teenagers with a passion. From authentic buildings and classic cars to other objects of desire, Creator Expert advanced LEGO sets offer a world of nostalgia, escapism, self-expression, pure enjoyment and surprise.
- An advanced LEGO® Creator Expert Modular Buildings set bookshop with adjoining town house packed with surprising details and unexpected features that teenagers and adults will enjoy building and displaying with pride.
- This big 3-story LEGO® set features so many details, including a display window, bookshelves, reading nook and living spaces in the town house. 5 minifigures also help to really bring this collectors’ toy to life.
- This set is part of the Modular Buildings series – an ever-growing collection of interconnecting model toy buildings that combine to create amazing street scenes that builders and collectors love to own and display.
- With 2,504 pieces, this LEGO® building set for adults and teenagers makes an inspirational birthday, Christmas or special-occasion gift.
- Measuring over 11” (29cm) high, 9” (25cm) wide and 9” (25cm) deep, this buildable model makes for an impressive display piece on its own or as part of a larger Modular Buildings series street scene.
- No batteries required… this advanced building set runs on the pure power of imagination and creativity.
- With colorful, step-by-step building instructions, this advanced set offers a rewarding building experience, whether you’re building alone or sharing the experience with a loved one.
- LEGO® Creator Expert modular house toys immerse teenagers and adults in challenging builds based on things they’re passionate about, including classic cars, authentic buildings, fairground rides and much more.
- Since 1958, LEGO® bricks have been tested to the highest industry standards to ensure consistency and compatibility, and that they connect and pull apart easily every time.
- At the LEGO Group, we drop, heat, crush, twist and analyze LEGO® pieces to make sure every building set meets the highest global safety and quality standards.
I quite like the look of this set, and appreciate the return to the dual building, side by side. It will be interested to see how the new buildings stand up next to the older modulars, as their brickwork often demonstrates a higher level of greebling. There is still plenty of detail to be seen in them though. I quite like the look of this set, and look forward to taking a chance to put it together in the new year.
What do you think? A day one purchase? Or wait and see? leave you comments below, and until next time,