In 2010, Tron: Legacy, as sequel to the 1982 movie Tron was released. The original movie was released at a time when home computers were just starting to become relatively common, and its art style and story setting were unlike anything we had previously seen. In October 2015, BrickBros UK – Tom and Drew – submitted a single Light Cycle, based on the movie TRON: Legacy to LEGO® Ideas. Over the next 17 months, they gained support, reaching 10000 votes in April 2017. The review start in May, with the final review being announced in November 2017. And so, less than 6 months later, the set is now ready to hit the shelves.
The Light Cycles were iconic elements of both the original TRON as well as TRON: Legacy. The original submission featured one light cycle, with trans light blue details, carefully crafted to minifigure scale. The final set features two: with the additional light cycle featuring trans orange details, and an additional minifigure.
The look of these cycles, as well as the ‘Grid’ base captures the spirit and styling of this sequence, even if the original TRON was more your thing than its sequel.
The 21314: LEGO® Ideas Tron: Legacy set will be released on Saturday, 31st March, and for those in the UK, there shall be a Fan Designer Signing event at the LEGO Store in Leicester Square on Thursday, 29th of March 2018.
About the Fan Designers:
Downloading from Devon, England, brothers Drew and Tom are the talented fan designers behind the LEGO® Ideas Tron: Legacy set.
Tom and Drew’s small childhood collection of LEGO bricks inspired them to come up with their own scenarios and builds. In designing their LEGO Ideas project, “We went through several models before settling on a design we both liked. We wanted to get the scale of the Light Cycle to minifigure right, and the overall colour scheme had to reflect the Tron feel.”
Here is the press release:
21314 LEGO® Ideas TRON: Legacy
Ages 10+. 230 pieces.
US $34.99 – CA $44.99 – DE 34.99€ – FR 34.99€ – UK £29.99 – DK 300DKK – AUD $49.99
*Euro pricing varies by country. Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.
Reimagine Disney’s TRON: Legacy movie scenes with LEGO® bricks!
Build Disney’s TRON: Legacy with this LEGO® Ideas set, featuring 2 Light Cycles, 3 minifigures and a TRON grid/display base to recreate the movie chase scene and Identity Disc battle.
Build, play and display with this futuristic LEGO® Ideas 21314 TRON: Legacy set from Disney, featuring 2 Light Cycles, each with minifigure seats and translucent-colored light-style elements, plus a divisible TRON grid with attachment points for the vehicles. Use the grid as a display base for the Light Cycles or split it in 2 to recreate the chase scene from Disney’s TRON: Legacy movie. Alternatively, stage an Identity Disc battle between the 3 included LEGO minifigures—Sam Flynn, Quorra and Rinzler—on the grid. This construction toy includes a booklet with information about its fan creator and LEGO designers, plus the lowdown on Disney’s TRON: Legacy movie and its main characters.
- Includes 3 LEGO® minifigures: Sam Flynn, Quorra and Rinzler.
- Features 2 buildable Light Cycles for Sam Flynn and Rinzler, and a TRON grid/display base.
- Sam Flynn’s Light Cycle features a minifigure seat, authentic features and assorted translucent-blue light-style elements, including power stream effects.
- Rinzler’s Light Cycle features a minifigure seat, authentic features and assorted translucent-orange light-style elements, including power stream effects.
- TRON grid/display base features 2 detachable parts, attachment points for the 2 Light Cycles and translucent-blue elements.
- Divide the grid to recreate the Light Cycle chase scene from Disney’s TRON: Legacy movie, or use it to role-play the disc battle scene with the minifigures.
- Includes Quorra’s sword.
- Accessory elements include Sam Flynn and Quorra’s blue Identity Discs, and Rinzler’s 2 orange Identity Discs. Attached to the back of each minifigure.
- This construction toy includes a booklet with building instructions, information about the set’s fan creator and LEGO designers, and the lowdown on Disney’s TRON: Legacy movie and its main characters.
- Each Light Cycle measures over 1″ (5cm) high, 6” (17cm) long and 1” (4cm) wide.
- TRON grid/display base measures over 8” (22cm) wide and 3” (9cm) deep.
Available for sale directly through LEGO® beginning
31st March, 2018 via shop.LEGO.com and LEGO® Stores
How do you feel about this set? I love the design of the cycles, as well as the new printed elements incorporated in them, and I feel the use of the 3×8 transparent panels is a great way to represent the solid light trail left by these vehicles. I am a little concerned about the pricing of this set, with the Disney licence no doubt contributing somewhat to the price. That said, the Australian pricing is the same as Women of NASA, which is $10 cheaper in the US. I appreciate the styling and feel, and like the notion of a display or play piece without an outrageous part count. However, I was never as engaged with the source material as I could have been, and can probably let it pass me by, especially at full retail price. I do maintain that if you like every LEGO Ideas set on its own merits, the program is probably not doing its job properly. LEGO Fans are a diverse bunch, with many different interests.
Next time… something completely different.