Take part in our building challenge, using Classic Themes, for a chance to win 11021: 90 Years of Play!
We are counting down to the the 90th Anniversary of the LEGO Group, founded in a Danish Carpenter’s workshop in 1932, and I thought it would be appropriate to run a little building challenge. Over the years I have run a few building challenges based on Minifigure Habitats – the last in early 2020, at the start of the pandemic. At that time, the format was picked up with by a number of communities online, not the least of which would be the regular habitat challenges being run by Jen, known as @Brickfambuilds over on Instagram.
More recently, I have been looking at a new format for building: Minifigures on Parade – a format using an 8×16 module, which can be joined together in a row.
As we approach the LEGO Group’s 90th anniversary on August the 10th, we invite you to start putting together minifigure habitats and/or Minifigures On Parade (MOPs) Modules.
Between now, and August 10th, we invite you to build using either (or both) of these formats using classic homegrown LEGO Themes: Town, Space, Castle, Pirates, Ninjago. Or even Fabuland, Paradisa, Western, Time Twisters or more. If its a Home Grown LEGO Theme that you grew up with, it’s fair game. If it’s older than you, its even fairer!
Feel free to let the studs show, with a blocky aesthetic in the best traditions of 20th Century LEGO Design, or smooth them over, using all the curved elements and tiles at your disposal. Classic smiley faces, or the more expressive faces of more recent times? Six colours or Thirty five?
The Choice is yours, but look to the Classic themes.
Building a Habitat:
As a reminder: here is the format for a classic habitat: An 8×8 base, with 8 brick high walls on the rear aspect, allowing the modules to stack up – with 3, 6, or 10 habitats making up a stack.
Building a MOPs Module
Here is the format for the Minifigures on Parade module: 8 studs deep, by 16 wide, with the central 8×8 studs raised by a single plate. You can add terrain, landscape, buildings and vehicles within this space. Imagining that the minifigures are being placed on a small pedestal while they are going about their business, be it on parade, on patrol (thinking Police or Castle) or even planets (Spaaaace).
The Prize (es)
The prizes will be drawn randomly, and is a copy of 11021 90 Years Of Play: this Classic set includes builds based on themes from throughout the history of the LEGO Group. If the set is not available at the time of drawing (region dependent), then prizes of similar value will be organised.
There will be a prize draw for Town, Space, Castle, and other classic themes in both the Habitat and MOPs division, with a copy of 11021: 90 Years of Play up for grabs in each of these 8 categories, thanks to the LEGO Group. Entrants will receive one ‘ticket entry’ per module or habitat contributed, up to a maximum of two entries per category. The draw will be random. Where prizes are unavailable, a prize pack to similar value will be arranged by the organisers.
How to Enter
Entries can be posted to instagram using the pages #rambling90years or #lego90habitats. Feel free to tag @ramblingbrick and @brickfambuilds to make sure we find them!
- Entries are now open and may be posted from now through to 10am UTC on August 11th [Or when the midnight is reached on the 10th August, Samoan standard time].
- If you do not have, and don’t wish to open, an instagram account, then please email your entry to email@example.com, including your country of residence and online name. These images will be reposted on the @ramblingbrick instagram feed.
- Please post your entries as still images, as we find Reels and Stories can be difficult to reliably track down (you can still share your builds using these, but we need a still to be able to find your entry.
- We will present the highlights of entries during the following week with the prize draws taking place on 17th August.
Entries are now open! Do you have questions? Leave them below, or reach out to @ramblingbrick or @brickfambuilds on Instagram. We look forward to seeing what you come up with. In the mean time,
The Fine Print:
General Terms ands conditions for events supported by the LEGO Group
Entries must abide by LEGO Brand Values, specifically excluding:
- Earth based Politics and political symbols, campaigns, or movements
- Religious references including symbols, buildings, or people
- Sex, drugs, or smoking
- Alcohol in any present day situation
- Death, killing, blood, terrorism, or torture
- First-person shooter video games
- Warfare or war vehicles in any modern or present-day situation, or national war memorials
- Racism, bullying, or cruelty to real life animals
Specific Terms and Conditions for this Challenge:
Entry is open to worldwide followers of @ramblingbrick, @brickfambuilds and readers of ramblingbrick.com except for residents of Iran, North Korea, Myanmar/Burma, Zimbabwe, Sudan, Syria, any other U.S. sanctioned country and where prohibited or restricted by law. In addition, we are unable to ship prizes to China or Russia at this time.
Prize winners will be selected by random draw. Participation is the important part! One entry per build!
Play well, Be Kind.
In the event of a shipping address not being provided in less than seven days from notification, then the prize will be redrawn.