Today, after weeks of speculation, leaks and teases, LEGO announced the forthcoming release of Creator Expert Set 10258: London Bus. With over 1680 pieces, this is the largest London Bus set released to date.
The set will be physically unveiled at the five LEGO Brand retail stores in the London Area on 1st of July, and launched at the online store on 1st August 2017. Early Access will be available for VIP customers from 17th July. The Australian price is will be $199.99.
Representing an icon of London Transport for over fifty years, there are seats for 36 on the upper and 26 passengers on the lower deck. As many of these seats are 2×4 studs in size, you may not be able to readily fill the bus to capacity with mini figures.
There are lots of details to be found, from the forgotten newspaper, umbrella and drink can, to the piece of chewing gum stuck underneath the seat. From a parts point of view, there is a lot of red, including the large arches, 5×5 with cutout (Design ID 24599) that premiered in dark azur in last 2016’s VW Beetle. This is their first appearance in red. There appear to be a number of stickers, particularly for the advertising panels on the side of the bus (Which are reversible for alternative banners).
There is also an umbrella in a stand, a box for used tickets and a detailed engine under the bonnet. There is also a new tire design especially made for this model.
The route sign is especially fun:
As you can see, it is a reasonable size, measuring 18cm(7″) high, 13cm(5″) wide and 34cm(13″) long.
Here is the designer Video:
The press release…
All Aboard the London Bus
Take a nostalgic journey with this LEGO® Creator Expert replica of the world-famous double-decker London Bus. Grab the hand pole and step onto the open rear boarding deck, complete with a used ticket bin and fire extinguisher. Then take the half-spiral staircase to the sightseeing deck where you’ll find a cozy seating area and a number of other items, including a forgotten umbrella, newspaper, empty beverage can and even discarded chewing gum stuck under a slightly-worn seat. Slide the door to access the driver’s cab with panoramic windscreen, lift the hood to reveal the engine, remove the roof and upper deck to access the interior, and choose your favorite decade with the reversible transit-advertising posters, featuring a 1950s or present-day London promotion. From the distinctive lines and curves of its bright-red bodywork, to its specially made standard-tread tires and destination sign, this beautifully crafted model oozes authenticity and intricate details that capture the character and charm of a celebrated London icon!
• The London Bus comes with an array of brick-built features and details, including large windows, bright red curved bodywork, panoramic windshield, reversible transit advertising posters provided as printed labels, specially made standard-tread tires and a destination sign. It also has an opening hood with engine, detailed driver’s cab with sliding door, and a removable roof and upper deck for access to the detailed interior.
• Interior details include worn look seating, open rear boarding deck with a hand pole, ticket bin, fire extinguisher and a half-spiral staircase that leads to the sightseeing deck. Additional authentic detailing includes a forgotten umbrella, newspaper, empty beverage can and discarded chewing gum elements.
• Choose your favorite decade with the miniature, reversible transit advertising posters, featuring a 1950s or present day London promotion.
• Remove the roof and upper deck for full access to the detailed interior.
• Slide open the driver’s door to access the detailed cab with panoramic windscreen.
• Lift the hood to access the engine.
• Special elements include a new-for-August-2017 tire with standard tread, quarter bows and arches in red, and 1x1x1 A2/3 bricks with vertical studs.
• This model includes more than 1,680 pieces.
• This model is scaled for shelf display alongside other models in the LEGO® Creator Expert vehicle series.
• Measures over 7” (18cm) high, 13” (34cm) long and 5” (13cm) wide.
The set is recommended for builders aged 16 and over.
The price is yet to be announced, but I suspect we will find out in the next couple of days.
What do you think? Is this a ‘must have’ for you? It could work with minifig in a city, or just on a shelf. Or…so many red pieces. Once again, the Creator Expert team have produced another great vehicle, even if it not to the same scale as the other recent vehicles? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below.
Don’t forget to follow the blog for other interesting news, tips and hints.