And the June release announcements continue to roll out! Selecting a highly specific 43rd anniversary to celebrate, this years vintage Video Games Icons set is based on the seminal PAC-MAN. I remember the handheld game being shared around at school, way back in 1982, much to the chagrin of my year 8 maths teacher. By this time, I think it was already established at Arcades and Fish and Chip Shops around Victoria.
The final model measures 12.5 in. (32 cm) high, 10 in. (25 cm) wide and 7 in. (17 cm) deep, and has 2650 pieces. When it is released on June 1 (VIPs), it will cost $269.99 / €269.99 / £229.99/349.99 CAD/399.99 AUD/6299.9 TRY/114990.0 HUF/2299.0 CNY.
Here is the Press release:
The LEGO Group and Bandai Namco are celebrating the 43rd anniversary of PAC-MAN with the reveal of the new vintage LEGO® ICONS PAC-MAN Arcade set – one of the most famous and nostalgic arcade games of all time.
Originally released on May 22, 1980, by Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc. (previously Namco) in Japan, the PAC-MAN video game became a cultural icon. After 40 years of being a part of pop culture worldwide through games, TV shows, music and more, the LEGO Group has collaborated with Bandai Namco to bring the 80s classic back in brick form. This collaboration led to the unique discovery that PAC-MAN’s famous yellow colour was inspired by the LEGO Group’s signature colour.
The new LEGO set design shows an arcade version of PAC-MAN and allows you to recreate some of the legendary ghost munching moves of the game. In addition, builders can create large colourful brick versions of PAC-MAN, BLINKY and CLYDE that rotate on a base, and can be displayed on top of the cabinet or separately.
Once complete – you can light up the coin-slot, plus there is a small vignette of a female minifigure playing PAC-MAN on an arcade, hidden inside of the cabinet.
PAC-MAN FUN FACTS:
- On May 22nd 1980, the first focus test was held for PAC-MAN, where members of the public got to see the yellow character for the first time.
- PAC-MAN is yellow, as designer Mr. Iwatani was inspired by the iconic yellow of the LEGO brick.
- The character shape is based on a pizza with a slice missing.
- The game was released in Japan on June 29, 1980 – before being made available in the rest of the world.
- A PAC-MAN cartoon hit appeared on TV screens in the 80s.
- Buckner & Garcia released the hit single “PAC-MAN Fever”
,which went as high as 9th place on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart in March 1982.
- In 1993, Billy Mitchell of Florida became the first person to ever achieve the game’s perfect score of 3,333,360 points. In order to achieve a perfect score, the player would have to clear all 256 stages without a single miss, and consume all PAC-DOTs, fruits, and ghosts (consume 4 ghosts with each POWER PELLET).
- In recognition of PAC-MAN’s 1980 release, where it installed 293,822 arcade units within 7 years, the Guinness World Records acknowledged the game as the “Most Successful Coin-Operated Game” in the world.
Describing the process of designing the new set, Sven Franic, LEGO Designer comments: “A cultural icon for the past 40 years, it was a delight to bring PAC-MAN to brick life. We are always looking for new and exciting ways to bring classic gaming experiences to life. Our team of talented designers worked tirelessly to capture the essence of the beloved PAC-MAN arcade machine in brick form, from PAC-MAN himself to the colourful, maze-like environment he inhabits. Every detail was carefully considered and crafted, resulting in a one-of-a-kind LEGO creation that captures the magic of the original game while adding a playful new twist and a couple of Easter eggs – in true video game style. We are thrilled to share this incredible build with the world and cannot wait to see the joy it brings to fans of all ages.”
Adding on the collaboration, Aadil Tayouga, Director of Licensing and Business Strategy at Bandai Namco Europe says: “Bandai Namco and the LEGO group share a lot of common values, notably aiming at providing fun for all people through quality products. In addition to these values, since PAC-MAN yellow was actually inspired by the LEGO Group yellow, it made the connection even more natural. It has been a tremendous collaboration with the passionate teams at the LEGO Group and we hope that fans will enjoy this kit.”
LEGO VIP members will have early access to purchase the LEGO PAC-MAN Arcade set from 1st June 2023 from LEGO.com/PAC-MAN and LEGO Stores, or available to all from 4th June 2023 at the recommended retail price of $269.99 / €269.99 / £229.99/349.99 CAD/399.99 AUD/6299.9 TRY/114990.0 HUF/2299.0 CNY.
There are so many nostalgic triggers here, from the graphics, the maze, and the buttons on the cabinet. Growing up in Australia, Machines tended to cost 40 cents during this era, before we shifted over to a $1 coin, a few years later. I love the vignette tucked inside the machine, of the player. It really brings back some awesome memories.
What do you think of this set? Another cynical Nostalgic Cash grab? Or just the thing you have been waiting for? Why not leave your comments below, and until next time…